The Divine Mercy Chaplet is a powerful devotion given by our Lord to a Polish nun, St. Faustina Kowalska, in the 1930’s. It is a prayer of unlimited power, and Jesus promised that He would grant great graces to those who prayed the Chaplet in union with His Will. This devotion asks for the grace of conversion and offers the sacrifice of Christ’s own Passion for the salvation of sinful mankind.
Our Lord told St. Faustina:
- Encourage souls to say the Chaplet which I have given you. (Diary, 1541)
- When they say this Chaplet in the presence of the dying, I will stand between My Father and the dying person, not as the just Judge but as the Merciful Savior. (Diary, 1541)
- Whoever will recite it will receive great mercy at the hour of death. (Diary, 687)
- Priests will recommend it to sinners as their last hope of salvation. Even if there were a sinner most hardened, if he were to recite this Chaplet only once, he would receive grace from My infinite mercy. (Diary, 687)
- I desire to grant unimaginable graces to those souls who trust in My mercy. (Diary, 687)
- Through the Chaplet you will obtain everything, if what you ask for is compatible with My will. (Diary, 1731)
Begin with the Sign of the Cross: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
On Crucifix, say: You expired, Jesus, but the source of life gushed forth for souls, and the ocean of mercy opened up for the whole world. O Fount of Life, unfathomable Divine Mercy, envelop the whole world and empty Yourself upon us.
On large bead, say 3 times: O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fount of mercy for us, I trust in You!
On first small bead, say the Our Father: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy Will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
On second small bead, say the Hail Mary: Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
On third small bead, say the Apostles’ Creed: I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried; He descended into hell; on the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty; from there He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.
For each decade, say:
On the large bead: Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.
On the 10 small beads: For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
At the end of the 5-decade chaplet, say:
Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world. (Repeat 3 times)
Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion, inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself.